Oh yes I did. I put pasta on pizza. And not just any pasta. I put baked ziti on pizza. I mean, can life get any better than that?
When I was in college (University of Michigan), there was a pizza place called NYPD. They had a baked ziti pizza that was/is my favorite pizza of all time. You guys don’t even know how deep my love is for this pizza.
I had to recreate it. And there’s no better day to eat this than Pizza Day! A day I continue to celebrate in memory of two wonderful people who lost their lives too soon. You can read more about why I celebrate Pizza Day in this post.
Did any of you go to Michigan? Don’t they say (who’s they?) that everybody either knows someone or knows someone who knows someone who went to Michigan? Either way, if you’ve never been to Ann Arbor, you should definitely go. Cutest little town, and worlds best pizza!
At least the worlds best Ziti Pizza.
Baked Ziti Pizza
- 1 cup uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 recipe your favorite pizza dough or store bought, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 7-8 minutes,
- 2) Drain pasta and add back into the pot. (Pasta will continue to cook in the oven so it doesn't need to cook all the way through). Add the sauce, ricotta, salt and oregano to the pot with the pasta and stir to combine.
- 3) Spread the dough into a circle on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Spread mixture evenly over dough and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 12-15 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.