This easy one-pan recipe for Picadillo combines ground beef and turkey with spices and olives to create a simple dinner with bold, satisfying flavors.
I love a super easy ground beef recipe and I make this dish with a mix of ground beef and ground turkey in a tomato sauce with olives and tons of flavor. Yeah, it’s my own spin. If you’re on the search for one-pan recipes, you’ve landed on the right page.
If you’ve been here a while, you know that I’m all about easy, approachable recipes that can be made quickly but still be delicious! This recipe is no different, in fact, it’s probably my top 5 favorite on the blog!
What is Picadillo?
Picadillo is a traditional dish in many Latin American countries. It is made with ground meat, most often beef, and often has tomatoes, olives and raisins. It is most commonly served with rice or in tacos.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Olive oil
- Ground beef
- Ground turkey (can use any ground meat you like)
- Spices – salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika
- Tomato paste
- Marinara sauce (your favorite kind)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green olives
- Chili flakes
How to make Picadillo
It’s actually super easy and comes together in less than 30 minutes all in one pan. (My favorite type of pan to use is stainless steel – here’s why, plus more tips on the best cookware for your kitchen!).
Take a look at this video to see exactly how.
Where Does Picadillo Come From?
Honestly? Straight from heaven! But for real, it’s a popular dish in Latin America and in the Philippines. “Picar” means “to mince,” which is why there’s ground meat in here. The LL makes a “y” sound, so it’s pronounced “peek-a-dee-yo.” Class dismissed! Now go make some!
This actually starts out pretty similarly to my Ground Taco Meat with Homemade Seasoning, and my 30-Minute Fettuccine Turkey Bolognese but with just a couple simple additions, it turns into something totally new and special.
What’s the best salt to use for cooking?
The Home Cook’s Guide to Salt
Learn about the basics of salt, plus the best salt for cooking (hint: it’s Kosher salt!) with this easy-to-understand guide to salt for home cooks.
How to Serve Picadillo
I really love how versatile this recipe is! Try it…
- Over rice (Coconut Rice would be delicious!)
- With quinoa
- In a taco
- In lettuce wraps
- Baked in a bell pepper
Easy Picadillo Leftovers
I make a big batch (2 lbs of meat!) because it’s one of the few dishes that makes leftovers I truly love. I’m not usually a leftovers person, but with this recipe I say sign me up. It’s so yum as lunch the next day!Print
This easy one-pan recipe for Picadillo combines ground beef and turkey with spices and olives to create a simple dinner with bold, satisfying flavors!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey (can use any ground meat you like)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup marinara sauce (your favorite kind)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can green olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Heat a large pan over medium/high heat. Add the olive oil, ground beef, ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat and cook through – about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, marinara sauce, cherry tomatoes, olives and chili flakes. Stir to combine and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, in lettuce cups or on it’s own!
Follow Life is but a Dish on PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM for all the latest content and behind the scenes! Remember to subscribe to my free Life is but a Dish Weekly Newsletter and receive easy recipes delivered to your inbox every week!