Why did it take me so long to put bread in a salad? I mean, is there anything better? Thick, crunchy, crusty bread paired with fresh veggies and a tangy dressing – YES PLEASE!
Panzanella. Let’s talk about the loveliness of this salad for just a moment. It’s bright, colorful and it’s got SO much going on. But not in a bad way, ya know? Just lots of texture, and well, you all know me and texture. It’s like the perfect bread meets veggie salad explosion and I just. can’t. get. enough!
And the secret weapon? Grilled corn. Doesn’t this just scream summer?!? That sweet char on the fresh corn puts this dish over the top.
The fresh ingredients speak for themselves and only need a simple dressing to brighten them up a bit.
Your family and friends are gonna absolutely love this one! It goes great with any summer grilling or BBQ. So add it to your menu this Memorial Day!
Bread salad for the win!
A bright and colorful salad with fresh veggies and crusty bread tossed in a light and tangy vinaigrette. A perfect side dish for all your summer grilling!
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 4 cups french bread, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- sprinkle of dried oregano
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups diced cucumbers
- 1 diced bell pepper (I used orange)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat your grill to medium/high heat. Spray the grill to keep food from sticking. Add the corn and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the corn is nicely charred. Remove from grill and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, diced bread, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Toss to coat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often until bread cubes are golden brown on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once corn is cool, slice the corn off the cob. Add the corn to a large bowl along with the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, basil and cooled bread cubes.
- Whisk all the ingredients together to make the dressing and slowly pour over the salad. Toss well to coat evenly and serve! This salad is also great if you let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving.