I’m kind of in love with this new combination. Roasted beets, hummus, pumpkin seeds. It really is that simple!
I had this dish recently at a brunch and I haven’t be able to stop thinking about it! While simple and easy, it’s still unique and special! Great for a brunch, lunch or dinner – makes a stunning side dish!
If you’re a beet lover like me, you’re gonna be equally as obsessed with this dish as I am!
Hello summer, here we come!
Roasted Beets & Hummus w/ Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 pound red beets
- 1 pound golden beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup roasted, lightly salted pumpkin seeds
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Water as needed
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash and scrub the beets, then wrap beets individually in foil. Smaller beets can be grouped together. Place wrapped beets in the oven and roast for about 40-45 minutes or until a knife easily inserts into the center.
- Meanwhile, make the hummus. In a food processor, blend the chickpeas for about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and blend for another 30 seconds or so. Add the tahini, lemon juice and salt and blend until smooth. With the machine running, pour in 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until you get a smooth, creamy mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more lemon or salt if needed.
- When beets are done cooking, let cool until easy enough to handle, then use a paper towel to gently peel off the skins by pushing back on it. If the beets are fully cooked it should peel off easily.
- Dice up the beets and add to a bowl. Squeeze on top the juice from 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat.
- Grab a platter and spread the hummus in a thick layer on the bottom. Top with the roasted beets and sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds.