This is one of those recipes that happened by accident. Don’t you have your go-to throw together something random in your fridge type meal? What is it?
This is so, totally mine. I make it ALL the time, it always turns out amazing, but it’s super random, and I’ve never even thought to write it down. Not until my sister-in-law was here one night when I was throwing this together and she tasted it, then HAD to have the recipe.
So I thought, why shouldn’t all of you have it to?
I know it’s not the prettiest dish I’ve ever made, but sometimes ugly food is the best food. Right?
Truly, you can use any veggies you like or have laying around. That’s the beauty of this. To each is own! This was actually the first time I’ve ever thrown mushrooms in the mix, and I was pretty happy with the results.
I love to serve this over brown rice, but it can easily be eaten alone, over pasta, or even quinoa!
Lot’s of healthy goodness in one bowl. I ain’t mad at that.
Ground Turkey & Veggie Brown Rice Bowls
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground turkey meat can also use ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon about 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Top with Sriracha Sauce optional
- Garnish with chopped parsley
- 1) Start making your rice. Cook according to package.
- 2) Heat a large pan over medium/high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and a healthy pinch of salt and cook for 3-5 minutes, until onion begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the turkey meat, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper, garlic powder, and dried basil and cook until turkey is cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. Once meat is cooked, drain any fat and remove the meat from the pan to set aside.
- 3) In the same pan add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the butter over medium/high heat. Add the broccoli and cauliflower, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and cook for 5-7 minutes until veggies are just tender.
- 4) Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper and cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- 5) Add the tomato sauce to the pan and heat through. Once heated, add the lemon juice and stir to combine. Add the cooked turkey meat back into the pan, and add the parmesan cheese. Toss well. Serve over brown rice and top with Sriracha Sauce if desired.