LOVING this sweet and simple Honey Glazed Apple Roast Chicken. It’s the perfect intro to fall dish, and it’s great for the upcoming Rosh Hashanah holiday!
Rosh Hashanah is the celebration of the Jewish new year. A time to reflect on the past, while planning for sweet new beginnings ahead. We host Rosh Hashanah dinner at our home every year, and traditionally these dishes consist of sweet flavors representing a sweet new year. I ain’t mad at that!
- 1 Trader Joe's brined whole organic chicken (4-5 pounds)
- 1 apple, cut into wedges
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound small yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Stuff the apple, lemon, and rosemary sprigs inside the cavity until completely full. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together.
- 2) Brush the outside of the chicken generously with the melted butter and olive oil. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
- 3) In a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet or roasting pan, add the potatoes and onion. Use them as a bed to lay the chicken on top. Place the chicken on the potatoes and onions and put in the oven on the middle or lower rack. Roast for 90 minutes.
- 4) After 90 minutes, remove from oven, brush with honey and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Watch chicken carefully, as honey can burn quickly. Let chicken sit for at least 10 minutes before serving, or serve at room temperature with the pan juices.