Can somebody please tell me why this bread is so delicious? O-MA-GAH! Or maybe it’s because I don’t make fresh bread that often, so having it is an extra special treat. I’m pretty sure if I had to choose between cake, or freshly baked bread, I’d choose bread any day. It’s just SO good.
And you think it’d be hard, but it’s not! Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it. The thing I love about this recipe is there’s no kneading, and rising, and waiting, and kneading, and rising, and GIMME-ALL-THE-BREAD-ALREADY!
You simply mix everything together, shape the dough, and pop it in the oven. GAH!
Ok, I made this citrus butter to spread
heavily lightly on top. It’s divine. Perfection. I can’t even. Good luck keepin’ your hands off this.
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and diced
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup currants
For the Citrus Butter
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix on low until combined. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour and forms small clumps.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk the buttermilk, egg, and orange zest. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Combine the currants with 1 tablespoon of flour and mix into the dough. The dough will be very wet.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. If you need to add a little more flour so it's easier to handle, that's ok. Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a knife. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. When you tap the loaf, it should have a hollow sound. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Mix together the butter, salt, and orange zest until well combined. Spread on bread and enjoy!
That butter tho.