Hello perfect Mother’s Day brunch cake! Like, seriously you guys. Does this cake not scream MOM?!?
It’s hard enough to impress mom, so why not make it easy on yourself and make this super easy, light and bright flavored cake that will wow everyone from mom to grandma?!
Yep, Jen and I did it again. We wanted to create a sweet treat for mom, while still keeping her health and nutritional goals in mind. And if you’re gonna eat cake, it’s gotta taste delicious, am I right? Right.
This cake uses white whole wheat flour, greek yogurt, olive oil, and it’s topped with an amazing coconut whipped cream, fresh berries, chopped almonds, and a drizzle of honey. What’s not to love?
No words necessary.
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon lemon zest about 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
- Honey to drizzle over the top
- 1 can full fat coconut milk very cold (refrigerate overnight)
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar more to taste, or you can use honey
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease two 8 inch round cake pans and set aside.
2) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the sugar into a separate large bowl and add the lemon zest. Rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is yellow and fragrant. Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla to the sugar mixture. Whisk well, until the ingredients are combined.
3) When the mixture is well combined, gently whisk in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Switch to a spatula and fold in the oil, until well combined.
4) Pour the batter evenly between the two cake pans and smooth on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden and the sides just start to pull away from the sides of the pan. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
5) Let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully remove from the pans and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
6) Once cakes are completely cool, add a few large spoonfuls of coconut whipped cream to the center of one of the cakes. Place the second cake on top, gently pressing until cream comes to the edge of the cake without spilling over. Spoon the rest of the whipped cream on top of cake and top with blueberries, chopped almonds, and a drizzle of honey. Slice and serve with extra blueberries and almonds.
1) Remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge. Open can, and drain any liquid. Using a hand mixer or stand alone mixer, whip until thick. Add the powdered sugar one teaspoon at a time and blend. Store in fridge.
Adapted from Cookie & Kate
We love you mom.