Lemon Vanilla Butter Cake is bursting with lemony flavor. The perfect simple cake for any occasion.
Can you even handle how pretty this is? I know, I know, it looks VERY similar to my Hot Milk Cake recipe, but I promise it’s different. This Lemon Vanilla Butter Cake is exactly as it sounds. Loaded with lemony goodness, butter and vanilla flavor!
I always find I need a simple cake to make for a weekend brunch, Mother’s Day, or just because. You all know I’m not a baker, but I do know when I find a good, simple cake. And this is one to add to the rotation.
Ways to serve this cake:
- Keep it simple with powdered sugar, like I did
- Make a lemon glaze and drizzle on top
- Serve with a side of fresh berries and whipped cream
- With a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream
- With a tall glass of cold milk
Pick your poison! Any and all ways would be delicious. You can’t go wrong, that’s the beauty of this cake.
What gives it the lemony flavor?
Two things! Lemon zest and lemon juice! I love the combination of the two. Lemon zest is super potent and provides a strong lemon scent and flavor without being overpowering. The lemon juice is more mild, but provides another layer of subtle lemon taste that brings this cake to life.
Why club soda?
I know, it seems weird. But it helps with a few things in baked goods.
- There’s no baking powder in this recipe so it helps with extra leavening from its bubbles.
- It rises better with a lighter texture.
Try it! It’s slightly different but I really like the texture.
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe! Make it for mom, for brunch, or for anyone you love and/or want to impress. 😉
Lemon Vanilla Butter Cake
- 1.5 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup club soda (not seltzer)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 10" bundt pan really well and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (you can also use a hand mixer), beat together the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour in thirds, alternating with the club soda, beating after each addition until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 65-75 minutes until golden brown or a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 10-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.