This recipe was 100% my 4-year-old daughter’s idea. “Mommy, you should make pumpkin ice cream!” Um…yes. I SHOULD make pumpkin ice cream! And I should throw in some chopped up dark chocolate while I’m at it, because why not?
I must admit, sometimes little kids are pretty darn smart. This ice cream is pumpkin-y creamy perfection and it’s a must-have for Halloween weekend, or anytime this fall.
You know how you always have that random amount of leftover pumpkin puree leftover? All you gotta do is use it to make this ice cream and dessert is done! OMG would it be totally insane to put this ice over some pie?!? I can’t even.
The best part is, you don’t even need to use an ice cream maker! No special equipment necessary. I use a hand mixer to whip the cream, but that’s about it!
So let’s all hop on the pumpkin train!
Grab a spoon!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream VERY COLD
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 1/2 ounce bar of dark chocolate roughly chopped
1) In a large bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
2) In a separate bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk with the pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Fold the whipped cream into the milk/pumpkin mixture until smooth. Gently fold in the chocolate chunks.
3) Pour mixture into a freezer safe pan (I use a loaf pan), cover, and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.