Oh, yes I did.
This is exactly what you think it is. ?
Okay, maybe not exactly what you think. But if we’re going to go ahead and eat/drink something that’s unicorn related, it BETTER be purple.
Guess what? Unicorn status food doesn’t have to be filled 76 grams of sugar, or a mysterious “blue drizzle”. I’m sorry, I just can’t even.
In my humble opinion, a recipe with the word “unicorn” in it should make you feel FANTASTIC and MAGICAL and BEAUTIFUL. This nutritious soup is all of these things.
Purple sweet potatoes are the star of this dish. Cooked down with a few other simple ingredients, this soup is thick, creamy and absolutely delicious.
It just felt right to top off this soup with some golden turmeric croutons, and a swoosh of delicate creme fraiche. Talk about magical.
For the base of this soup I used the Imagine Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth. I LOVE this stuff. Imagine products are made with real, wholesome ingredients such as the finest farm-grown vegetables and organic free-range chicken – with no artificial ingredients or preservatives. Their innovative aseptic carton package preserves freshness and homemade taste, using less material and less energy than conventional packaging. I feel good about feeding it to my family and the high quality makes all the difference in the taste.
It doesn’t take much to feel like a unicorn. Go ahead, grab a spoon and try it.Print
Purple Sweet Potato Unicorn Soup
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds purple sweet potatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- creme fraiche
Golden Turmeric Croutons
- 6–7 slices french baguette, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter and oil to the pot. Add the onion, potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute. Add the Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile make the croutons. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the diced bread to a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and turmeric. Toss until bread is well coated and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Once potatoes are soft, turn off heat. Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth, then return to the pot to season to taste and reheat until you are ready to serve. This can also be made directly in the pot by using an immersion blender. Top with golden turmeric croutons and a dollop of creme fraiche.
This post is sponsored by Imagine. Thanks for supporting the brands that I work with and love!
Thanks for this recipe! I called it “Unicorn Soup” for my kids. I used an instant pot. Eight minutes pressure cook and a five minute natural release. Thanks so much 🙂
So happy they loved it!
I finally found purple sweet potatoes and just made this for dinner. It is delicious!!!! Thank you!
Life is but a Dish
So glad to hear! Yay!!