It’s about time I posted a new casserole recipe. For whatever reason I don’t talk about this much, but I love me a good casserole. They’re so versatile and make the best leftovers.
Since we all love casseroles, and we all love turkey tacos, why not make a turkey taco casserole?! I love it, I love it, I love it!
This recipe is great because you make the “taco meat” all in one pan before transferring it over to combine with some rice then sprinkle with cheese and you’re done-zo.
I hope you find this comforting meal as delicious as I do. It would be a great meal to bring to a friend, or to make ahead of time before a new baby comes. Dig in!
Turkey Taco Bake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1.5 pounds ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 oz) jar your favorite salsa
- 1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 2.5 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, jack or a blend)
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the oil, ground turkey, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. Break up the meat and cook for about 5-7 minutes until meat is cooked through.
- Add the frozen corn, fire roasted tomatoes, green chilies, black beans and salsa and cook for 3-5 minutes until warmed. Add the cilantro and the juice of 1 lime and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in the cooked rice until mixture is well combined. Pour the entire mixture into a 13×9 baking dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with desired toppings, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and enjoy!