I can’t believe spring is literally right around the corner! How is it already March? You know what March means? Spring break baby! Which sadly no longer means what it used to.
Remember those days when spring break was basically one long episode of Girls Gone Wild? (Not me, no, never). Welp, I guess it’s kinda still like that, if girls gone wild means my two and four year old daughters driving me insane while my husband travels to China (China!) for eight days? No, not the same? So yeah, that’s gonna happen. Stay tuned.
In other news my baby girl turns two years old today! Again, another WTF moment. How is she already two??
In honor of her birthday I made her this salad.
Oh stop, I didn’t. But I did make myself this salad because of all the cake and ice cream I plan to eat this weekend in celebration of her birthday! I, of course will be making my traditional Hot Milk Cake. Just like I make for my older daughter, and just like my mom always made for me and my sister.
But first, these honey toasted salt and pepper cashews. They’re a must!
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted cashews
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 7 ounce bag of butter lettuce (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced persian cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced baby bell peppers
- 1/4 of a green apple (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 avocado (sliced or cubed)
For the Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1) Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add the cashews and toast for 60 seconds. Add the honey and toss to coat, cooking for another 30 seconds or so. Turn the heat off and sprinkle with salt fresh cracked pepper. Let cool.
- 2) Add the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, apple, avocado, and cooled cashews to a bowl. Toss with dressing and serve!
For the dressing
- 1) Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.
Happy weekend my friends!