A hearty and delicious one pan Butternut Squash Skillet Pasta made with fresh butternut squash, kale and cheese.
It’s my party and I’ll eat Butternut Squash Skillet Pasta if I want to. You guys. I spent so long trying to think of the perfect recipe to make for my birthday. Should it be an epic chocolate cake? Some sort of cookie, brownie, or even ice cream sundae? I couldn’t think of anything I wanted more than a giant. bowl. of. PASTA.
I mean, if you ask me, this is my perfect happy birthday meal. A big bowl of carbs loaded with some veggies and finished with gooey cheese. This Butternut Squash Skillet Pasta is everything I dream of!
Happy freakin’ birthday indeed. I must say, this is possibly the least excited I’ve been about my birthday. I’m 34 today. 34. What fun is that? I’m already planning my 35th…and my 40th! Oh, my 40th…That’s gonna be a good one.
No but in all seriousness, I’m grateful and lucky to have my 34th birthday and to be celebrating with family, friends, and all of you!
Can we all just take a moment for that cheese. Go ahead. I’ll wait. That’s the cheese pull moment we all dream of! And this dish delivers them in every single bite. You just can’t go wrong.
Ok great. Now go on. Even if today isn’t your birthday, you deserve this Butternut Squash Skillet Pasta.
Butternut Squash Skillet Pasta
- 3 cups dried pasta, I used rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 1/2 cup small diced butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped kale, I use Lacinato kale
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a medium/large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add two large pinches of salt. Add the pasta and cook according to package, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, butternut squash, salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes until squash is cooked through then turn off heat.
- In a separate small saucepan melt the butter. Add the minced garlic and cook for just 30-60 seconds until fragrant then remove from heat.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain and add directly to the pan with the squash. Add the kale, melted butter and parmesan and toss to combine. Top with shredded gruyere and place entire pan in the oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove, sprinkle with parsley and serve!
When you try a recipe, use the hashtag #lifeisbutadish on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my stories! Follow Life is but a Dish on PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM for all the latest content and behind the scenes!
Remember to subscribe to my free Life is but a Dish Weekly Newsletter and receive easy recipes delivered to your inbox every week!