This time next week it will OFFICIALLY be fall.
It’ll be all pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and caramel covered apples. (This can’t come fast enough!)
But until then, lets squeeze every last zucchini and cherry tomato that we can out of summer. Then throw it into this easy frittata and eat it continuously for the next four, five, or six meals in a row.
Summer, I won’t miss you. Sorry. I’m more than ready for chilly mornings, sweaters, hoodies, and even a little (or a lot) of rain! Man, could I use a long weekend full of thunderstorms, sweatpants, and my couch, with a pot of soup simmering on the stove, and some fresh baked bread crisping in the oven. THAT is heaven.
I will admit however, I’ll definitely miss the abundance of tomatoes, peaches, plums, pluots, and every variety in between. There’s just nothing like the freshness you get from those farmer’s market summer ingredients.
Chop ’em up, throw it in a pan, pour some eggs on it and you’ve got yourself one helluva meal.
Top it off with some feta and fresh herbs and I’d say that we’ve given summer quite the send off.
The perfect frittata to throw in all your end of summer veggies.
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup original unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 small zucchini (sliced into thin coins)
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 4 or 5 fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl whisk together the eggs and almond milk with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat an 8 inch skillet on the stove and add the olive oil. Add the shallot, minced garlic, zucchini, and mushrooms, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the veggies begin to soften. Then add the eggs and stir gently to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Add the tomatoes, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the stove off and slide your pan into the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- Remove from oven, and add the feta, basil, and chives. Let cool slightly, then slice and serve.
Adapted from Love and Lemons
So long summer!