Garlic & Fennel Mushroom Pizza is the perfect flavorful combination for a simple, aromatic pie that everyone loves!
This is basically like heaven on pizza if you ask me. Sweet fennel, caramelized mushrooms, a fresh pop of spinach kinda of tastes like a party in my mouth. I like to grab premade dough at Trader Joe’s if I want an easy dinner, and then we dress it up with these toppings! Garlic & Fennel Mushroom Pizza is one of our go-to combinations for pizza night.
Pizza with Fennel
Let’s talk fennel, because it’s one of my FAVORITE ingredients but I hear from so many people that they’re apprehensive about using it! Here’s the thing about fennel: it has a bitter anise taste that many compare to licorice, but once you cook it, it mellows and sweetens and ooooh my goodness. IT’S SO GOOD. I have a total fennel obsession!
We do homemade pizza pretty regularly. About once a month I get a craving, and everyone in the house looks forward to it! We have several flavor combinations we love, but this garlic, mushroom and fennel is a really simple one that combines the best of the best. You’ll cook everything on the stovetop before topping your pizza, and the way the flavors caramelize and combine is just….ah, it’s so good. You have to try it!
Homemade Pizza Sides
The beauty of pizza is that you can serve it on plates with delicious sides and get a fancy, gourmet feel…or you can kick back in the backyard and eat your slice off a paper towel. Pizza does it all! For sides you could go with a Classic Homemade Caesar Salad or make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings for a pizza-and-wings night.
More Pizza Recipes
- Baked Ziti Pizza
- Mushroom, Garlic, & Spinach Pizza
- Mozzarella, Prosciutto, & Roasted Grape Pizza
- Fresh Fig & Burrata Pizza
- Whole Wheat Tomato Pesto Pizza Rolls
- Asparagus, Burrata, & Pesto Pizza
Food photography by Ashley CuocoPrint
Garlic & Fennel Mushroom Pizza
- Yield: 4 1x
Garlic, sweet fennel, caramelized mushrooms and a fresh pop of spinach make this pizza a favorite!
- 1 pizza dough, homemade or store bought at room temp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crimini mushrooms, (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock or white wine
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- red pepper flakes
- large handful chopped fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat a large pan over medium/high heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil, shallot and fennel. Add a pinch of salt and cook for 7-10 minutes until fennel is soft.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds. Add the stock and scrape up any bits from the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook for another minute or two until liquid is gone. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease a baking sheet and flatten out pizza dough. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle evenly with oregano.
- Sprinkle cheese over dough and add the fennel mushroom mixture. Sprinkle on the spinach. Bake in the oven for 12-13 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Remove and sprinkle red pepper flakes and a pinch of sea salt. Slice and serve!
How come your photos show red blobs of sauce when you don’t mention it in your recipe?
Life is but a Dish
There are no red blobs of sauce. I think maybe you’re referring to the bubbles on the crust?
BEST PIZZA ON THE PLANET EARTHY. HEART EMOJI <3