It’s classic, comforting, cheesy, tender Chicken Parmesan time! Make this classic dish that turns any meal into something special.
It’s your classic Italian restaurant go-to order: Chicken Parmesan. We’re making it at home, though, and it somehow tastes even BETTER! I think a lot of home chefs are a little intimidated by this dish (it’s breaded! And baked!) but let me break it down for you, because this process is actually totally doable. Get ready to WOW everyone…including yourself!
What is Chicken Parmesan?
First things first: what even is Chicken Parmesan? It’s made of thin strips of chicken, breaded, seared, and baked with a dollop of marinara and a slice of mozzarella. Oooh yeah. It’s comfort food through and through! I suggest using chicken cutlets. If you buy breasts, make sure to pound them with a mallet. The goal is thin strips of chicken that are uniform in size.
Is Chicken Parmesan Easy to Make?
There’s definitely an order of operations where this Chicken Parm is concerned, but it’s not hard! Print off my recipe, gather ingredients, and follow the instructions step by step. You got this! It’s basically 5 steps:
- Coat the chicken with a mixture of egg and spices
- Dredge it panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan (dredge just means we’re coating it in a dry ingredient!)
- Pan fry the chicken for 4 minutes on each side. This seals in all the juices and flavor and makes for a juicy Chicken Parmesan!
- Top each piece with marinara and mozzarella and lay them out on a baking sheet
- Bake it for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly
What Kind of Noodles to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
This is chef’s choice! Whatever pasta you like best will be delicious with this perfectly breaded and cooked chicken. I love it with spaghetti or rigatoni noodles. You could also serve it with rice, by itself, or with a slice of crusty bread (be still my heart, YUM!).
Sides to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
My ultimate Chicken Parm side dish? My BEST Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing! This is a literal restaurant-quality meal if I do say so myself (which I totally do). You could also go with a Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad or Oven Roasted Green Beans.
More Easy Weeknight Recipes
- Everyday Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs
- Easy Picadillo
- Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Pasta
- Weeknight Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Food Photography by Tanya PilgrimPrint
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 6 chicken cutlets (you can also use chicken breasts and pound thin)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ⅓ cup your favorite marinara sauce (I use Rao’s)
- 6 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- In a wide, shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and 1 tablespoon parsley. Add the chicken and toss until well coated. Let sit at room temperature while you prep the other ingredients.
- In a separate wide and shallow bowl add the panko and parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Using tongs, remove one piece of chicken from the eggs mixture and let the excess drip off. Place chicken in the panko mixture and coat well on both sides. Place coated chicken on a plate and repeat steps with remaining chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Preheat a large pan over medium/high heat. Add 3-4 tablespoons of avocado oil, enough to coat the bottom well.
- Pan fry chicken for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. You might need to do this in batches.
- Place browned chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet and top with a spoonful of sauce and top with mozzarella slices. Sprinkle with parsley and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve on it’s own, with pasta, rice or on a toasted piece of crusty bread!