Hellooooo January! I know, I’m supposed to be all healthy food this, and green drink that. But I gotta ease myself in after the holidays. So, if I make a broccoli sauce to serve over pasta, that’s healthy-ish, right?
Riiiiiight. Either way, I love it and it’s the perfect quick and comforting pasta dish for these cold winter nights.
Yes, it’s cold in LA!
Like, curl up with a blanket and big bowl of this pasta kind of cold.
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, or 1 head
- 1/2 pound orecchiette pasta, or any pasta you like
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- 1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add about 1 tablespoon of salt and return to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook for about 2-3 minutes until just tender. Remove broccoli from pot and set aside. Do not drain water. Use the same water to cook the pasta.
- 2) Bring water back to a boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package, about 10 minutes.
- 3) While pasta is cooking, make the broccoli sauce. Roughly chop the broccoli and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium/high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chopped broccoli, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Once the pasta is cooked add the pasta directly into the pan, top with grated parmesan cheese, and toss to combine. Serve immediately!