The tastiest vegetarian meal made using pantry ingredients! Stuffed Sweet Potatoes have crunchy chickpeas, nutritious greens, and a delicious drizzle of spiced sauce!
Okay you guys. This recipe. THIS RECIPE! It checks all my boxes. First of all, it’s comforting. Second, it’s nutritious. Third, it’s simple to make. And finally, you can use pantry staples to make it. I love that! Perfectly baked sweet potatoes meet crispy chickpeas meet delicious spiced yogurt sauce. And they all lived happily ever after!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
The foundation here is a roasted sweet potato. They’re halved, drizzled in oil, and baked until they’re flavorful and soft and fork-tender. They’re a natural source of fiber and vitamin A, plus they’re good for your immune system! Gimme all the sweet potatoes!
The Crispy Chickpeas in this recipe make the DISH! They give it such good texture (a little bit of crunch!). I originally used them in my BBQ Chicken Kale Salad, which is still one of my all-time favorite salads! Canned chickpeas work great, they’re super affordable, and they’re easy to store in the pantry. They get drained, rinsed, patted dry, and tossed in olive oil and spices. After that, they get cooked in the oven alongside the sweet ptoatoes!
Turmeric Yogurt Sauce
The final touch in these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is a drizzle of yogurt sauce. Homemade sauces and dressings often feel intimidating to new cooks, but I promise it’s SO SO easy! You can make this! Just a bowl, a whisk, some plain yogurt, a squeeze of lemon, and a couple spices.
Assembling Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
The best part about this recipe is how many different ways you can customize it! So many things you already have on hand can be worked into these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Feel free to add in artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, olives…anything you’ve got on hand! Here’s how I assemble them:
- Once the sweet potatoes are baked, cut them open and soften the insides with a fork.
- Add a big scoop of crispy chickpeas.
- Next come the greens! Use a handful of arugula or micro greens to add a pop of color and some delicious nutrition.
- Finally, the sauce you just made! Give it a good drizzle on top to finish it off perfectly.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Chili Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato & Red Chard Brown Rice Risotto
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato & Chicken Chili
- Kale, Brussels Sprouts, & Sweet Potato Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato & Wild Rice Salad
The tastiest meal made using pantry ingredients! Stuffed Sweet Potatoes have crunchy chickpeas, nutritious greens, and a delicious drizzle of spiced sauce!
- 4–6 small sweet potatoes (or 2–4 large ones)
- Olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pinch of pepper
- micro greens or arugula
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. Slice the sweet potatoes in half then brush with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake face down on a sheet pan for about 30-40 minutes depending on the size.
- Take out a second sheet pan or oven safe dish for the chickpeas. After you rinse and drain the chickpeas, carefully dry them with a paper towel then add them to the second baking pan. Toss evenly with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and paprika and bake for 25-35 minutes (at the same time as the potatoes) until crisp.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, turmeric, lemon juice and pepper until smooth. If you want the sauce a little thinner, use more lemon juice or thin out with a few drops of water.
- Once potatoes are cooked use a fork or spoon to mash the flesh inside the potato a bit. Fill with crispy chickpeas, layer on some micro greens or arugula and drizzle with yogurt sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Follow Life is but a Dish on PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM for all the latest content and behind the scenes! Remember to subscribe to my free Life is but a Dish Weekly Newsletter and receive easy recipes delivered to your inbox every week!